Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sweet Sunday: The Classic White Cupcake.

The "Classic White Cupcake" has been a staple since my childhood. My mom taught me how to bake, was patient when I burned things, and showed me how to make one of the most important part of my cupcakes- the homemade frosting. One of the things my cupcakes are known for is the homemade buttercream frosting. It is a Hines family hand-me-down, with a few added twists and secrets of my own, and I use it as a base for almost ALL of my other frostings. Really, there is no specific science to this frosting... I just start with the main ingredients, then add a little of this and a little of that until it tastes right. Sometimes I'll want a lighter frosting to complement a rich cupcake- I'll add more whipping cream. Sometimes I'll want a stronger, more present frosting to complement a mild cupcake- I'll add more vanilla extract or powdered sugar. It's all a "to-taste" thing, just play around with it and you'll get it right!

One of the best things about my Classic White Cupcakes is that they're some of the easiest to make- I've found that the best tasting ones come straight from the box. :) If you choose to make a homemade white cupcake, I'll post a vanilla cupcake recipe later that you can use, but I find that Duncan Hines Classic White cake mix makes the lightest and fluffiest white cupcakes. Whip up a batch from the box, add a smear of homemade frosting, and it tastes like you've slaved in the kitchen for hours.




Classic White Cupcakes:
  1. Box of Duncan Hines Classic White Cake Mix
  2. 3 eggs
  3. Water
  4. Vegetable Oil
Preheat oven to 350* F. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners (24 cupcakes). (Use mini cupcake pans and paper liners if desired, I did for this batch...)

Follow instructions on the back of the box, bake at 350* until cupcakes are slightly golden on top.

Remove to wire racks, allow to cool completely before frosting.


Marie's White Buttercream Frosting:
  1. 1 & 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
  2. 1 box of 10x Confectioner's Sugar (powdered sugar)
  3. 2 tsp vanilla extract
  4. 2 tbs whole milk
Beat butter well until smooth & creamy, gradually add powdered sugar, blending well after each addition. Gradually add milk (you can use less or more milk than 2 tbs, depending on the consistency you want the frosting to have. Adding more milk will make the frosting thinner, using less will make it thicker). After well blended, add vanilla extract.

*Note: I love vanilla flavor, so I have a tendency to put more vanilla extract than most people. Just add the ingredients to taste, & get creative- I have a few ingredients I always add that make the frosting interesting, this is just the basic buttercream recipe. Also, If you want colored frosting, just add a few drops of food coloring until you reach the desired shade.



Frost cupcakes, garnish with sprinkles, confetti, or anything your little heart desires. I like these cupcakes because they're made from the mini cupcake tins... They're more portion friendly, & somehow it makes eating them even more fun when they're miniature!

Xoxo...
Marie


No comments:

Post a Comment